Friday, July 15, 2011

Are Learning Objects a Good Idea?

The article by McGreal & Elliott (2008) provided inspiration for me to check out how I could use learning objects in one of my courses.  The idea of using material already developed and peer-reviewed to supplement a lesson seemed to easy.  I decided to go to a recommended site in the article called MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resources for Learning and Online Teaching) at  http://www.merlot.org
You should check it out!  I was impressed by the learning objects available for my discipline.  I explored what was available for a difficult topic-Arterial Blood Gases.  There was a great tutorial that described the basics and it also provided case studies so that students could apply the concepts.  I felt that this would be a valuable learning object to use both for struggling students or for high-achieving students.

So, what do you think?  Should faculty use learning objects to supplement their teaching?

2 comments:

  1. I checked MERLOT out and I'm impressed too! There's a ton of information there and I believe that the learning objects would be great for faculty to use to supplement their teaching. The faculty could even use portions of the learning objects that are most relevant to their design plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristine,
    I'm glad you were able to check out MERLOT. I know I am excited to use it for my nursing students even though it is a f2f course right now.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete