Saturday, July 16, 2011

Reflection on Blog Assignment

  First, I had never used a blog before this assignment (thus my reluctance in getting it started).  Once I was comfortable with the "setting up" of the blog, posting to the blog was easier.  So, in terms of using the technology, I have made some strides in accomplishing that task.

I feel that blogs could be very beneficial to those with a creative mind.  The possibilities of adding links, images or video can be useful.  In the article by Pang (2009) he describes blogs as "an effective way for a student to express his or herself individually" (para 30).  I was able to add website links to previous blogs and I am inserting a picture for my final blog.  Pang (2009) also describes the use of blogs as a "reflective learning journal" (para 1).  In this assignment, I was unsure of whether to use the blog as a journal or as a blogger asking questions.  I feel that I did a combination of both aspects.

It was interesting to view my critical friend and other classmates approach to the assignment. My critical friend had already completed her 5 blog posts! I was impressed (and a little disappointed that I was unable to start this assignment earlier).  I have sent her an email to let her know I have commented, so hopefully we will be able to continue the blog.  However, I noticed that others were also behind in their blogs.  This assignment crept up on me after focusing on Assignment #1.  I need to look at my time management in this and future courses.  I am finishing another CE course, so I hope that I can remain "on top" for the remainder of this course.  Some others had included a picture, but I was concerned about posting an image I found on the internet (see previous post regarding copyright).  I am referencing the image, but wonder if this is the appropriate way to do this?

Overall, I can see the value of using blogs in a course.  It can provide for self expression, evaluation of the student's learning and evaluation of the course.

References:
Pang, L. (2009). Application of blogs to support reflective learning journals. Retrieved from http://deoracle.org/online-pedagogy/teaching-strategies/application-of-blogs.html
SchneiderB. (2011). 10 blogs you should be reading now [web log post]. Retrieved from http://schneiderb.com/10-blogs-you-should-be-reading-now/   (Photo credit)

2 comments:

  1. Your blogs were fun and insightful! I'm happy to have been your critical friend. Plus, purple is pretty. :)

    You have me thinking if I should have included photo credits for the pictures posted on my blog. But I think since the images reference the original html source, it should be okay. (There goes that copyrighting confusion.)

    This assignment crept up on me too and I'm glad I wasn't the only one. But we got it done! Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine,
    Thanks for being my critical friend (yes, I love purple) and I'm glad you enjoyed my blog. I think having a longer time frame to complete the postings was appropriate for the blog, but it was not what I was used to in assignments (my previous courses had the assignment due within the module). Thus my procrastination in getting started!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete