Saturday, July 16, 2011

Copyright - It's the Law!

Copyright can be confusing to the DE educator.  With so much material available on line, caution needs to be taken to distinquish between fair use and copyrighted material.  I found that Moore & Kearsley (2012) describe the current TEACH act in understandable terms: extent of access; amount of material; and length of time (p. 119). I found a website from the Association of Research libraries that helps with FAQs on copyright uses http://www.knowyourcopyrights.org/resourcesfac/faq/online.shtml .  As an educator, I need to understand what is usable in my course.  As Moore & Kearsley (2012) point out using "open-source" (p. 119) and "Creative Commons license" (p. 120) materials can avoid these copyright issues.  In a previous blog, I mention the use of the MERLOT site which is appropriate for this topic.

Before reading Moore & Kearsley's section on copyright, I wonder how may times I have unknowingly violated a copyrighted material?  Was I able to claim fair use?  I (like many others) may have thought, if it is on the internet it is free to use.  I wonder if other educators have really thought about copyright?  I would like to hear from you.

Reference: Moore, M.G. & Kearsley, G. (2012). Distance education: A systems view of online learning. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.

2 comments:

  1. You're so right! Copyright is confusing. It seems that most educators intent for copyrighted materials would be fair use, which shouldn't cause any issues. But it's definitely wise to know your copy rights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristine,
    I hope for the fair use in using material. I had to view a Youtube video on fair use for a different class. It was Disney movies with 1-2 word pieces to describe fair use called "A fair(y) use tale". Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJn_jC4FNDo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete