Friday, July 15, 2011

Behind the Computer Screen

Welcome to my OMDE 603 blog!  This is my first attempt on a blog site (so please be kind :)).

First, let me say that I am not a computer guru (yet I am interested in DE).  If it does not "magically" appear on the screen, there will be trouble.


That is why I am choosing to blog about one of the articles from Module 2a.  Although the readings and discussion focused on advantages & disadvantages of synchronous and asynchronous technology, I found the Pullen & Snow (2007) article was my eye opener about computer hardware/software concepts.  Reading (and the re-reading several times) the section on the NEW system software architecture was overwhelming at first.  I had to consult my engineering concepts and the internet to grasp the concepts of servers (web and class), clients, databases, encryption and speed of connections.  As a future DE educator (I hope), I wonder about my role in the "hardware/software" side of DE.  How much is "enough" for the educator to understand about those concepts?

I would love to hear from all the "techies" and "non-techies".

4 comments:

  1. First, I think your blog is great! Even though my background is in Information Systems/Technology, I do not consider myself to be a "techie" by any means. Sure, I understand a little beyond the basics of systems, architecture, and processes, but once you start getting into details, my head starts to spin. I had to re-read the NEW system software architecture section more than once also.

    I think as a future DE educator, your role will be more on the software side... knowing how to utilize the tool to present your material and layout your class. For synchronous meetings, I can imagine you'll need to be able to get your audio working and guide your students in that process, but as far as the architecture with the servers, networks, and databases... leave that to the true techies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristine,
    Thanks for your comment. It's good to hear I don't need to worry about "that side" of the computer. I drive my engineering friends nuts with my "I still don't understand what you are saying" questions. Must be a right brain/left brain difference.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it interesting that although you claim not to be technologically savvy, your blog is nonetheless impressive. It is obvious that you took time to really read the material. The reading in graduate courses can be overwhelming; so much so, it is easy to miss some important information in an attempt to cram it all in. In fact, after reading your blog I decided to go back and take another look at my own. I wanted to ask if you taken other graduate courses in the Education field? I am noticing there seems to be a trend towards doing practical exercises utilizing the Web 2.0 technologies...do you think it is helpful?

    I also noticed that instead of two papers a course, i.e. a mid term and end of term paper, there are these mini papers, 600 words or less, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margaret,
    Thanks for visiting. In terms of being "technologically savvy", my engineering husband would definitely disagree. Luckily he has some patience in explaining hardware over and over again. I do like to try and make things look "pretty" but that may not equate to quality.
    I have been teaching nursing students in f2f courses. My "adventure" into DE came about as I looked for material to use in my lectures. I have used web-based computer assisted instruction before, but finding the great open-source material has been fantastic (plus good for our budget). I am planning to use some of the MERLOT content for my students this semester, so I will have to see if it is helpful.
    I have only taken OMDE 601, so I can only compare this class to that one. I find it hard to be succinct to address all the content in 600 words, but I am getting used to it. I do like the idea of doing some type of assignment after each module and then being able to move on. I have never done well on everything resting on only 2 assignments.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete